X.Q. Deng Presidential Chair Professor of the School of Data Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen
Chief Scientist, Shenzhen Research Institute of Big Data
Ph.D. South China University of Technology, 1990
M.Sc. South China University of Technology, 1987
B.Sc. South China University of Technology, 1984
Speech Information Processing, Natural Language Processing, Neuromorphic Computing, Human-Computer Interface
Professor Haizhou Li is the X.Q. Deng Presidential Chair Professor in the School of Data Science, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, China. He is also an Adjunct Professor at the National University of Singapore, Singapore and a Bremen Excellence Chair Professor at the University of Bremen, Germany. Prior to joining CUHK (Shenzhen), Professor Li has taught at Nanyang Technological University and National University of Singapore (2006-2016) in Singapore, University of Eastern Finland (2009) in Finland, and University of New South Wales (2011-2016) in Australia. He was the Principal Scientist and Research Director at the Institute for Infocomm Research (2003-2016), the Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Singapore. Professor Li is an IEEE Fellow, and ISCA Fellow.
Professor Li has served as the Editor-in-Chief of IEEE-ACM Transactions on Audio Speech and Language Processing (2015-2018), Associate Editor of Computer Speech and Language (2012-2021), Springer International Journal of Social Robotics (2008-2021), and a Member of IEEE Speech and Language Processing Technical Committee (2013-2015), Awards Board (2021-2023), and Publications Board (2015-2018) of IEEE Signal Processing Society. He was the President of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA, 2015-2017), the President of Asia Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association (APSIPA, 2015-2016), the President of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing (AFNLP, 2017-2018). He was the General Chair of major scientific conferences including ACL 2012, INTERSPEECH 2014, and ICASSP 2022.
Professor Li was known for his technical contributions to the theory and practice of speaker and language recognition, and to a number of award-winning speech products, such as Apple's Chinese Dictation Kits for Macintosh (1996) and Lernout & Hauspie's Speech-Pen-Keyboard Text Entry Solution for Asian languages (1999). He was the architect of a series of major technology deployments that include TELEFIQS voice-automated call centre service in Singapore Changi International Airport (2001), voiceprint engine for Lenovo A586 Smartphone (2012), and Baidu Music Search (2013).
1. Chenglin Xu, Wei Rao, Eng Siong Chng and Haizhou Li, SpEx: Multi-Scale Time Domain Speaker Extraction Network, IEEE/ACM Transaction on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, vol. 28, pp. 1370-1384, 2020.
2. Chong Zhang, Kay Chen Tan, Haizhou Li, Geok Soon Hong, A Cost-Sensitive Deep Belief Network for Imbalanced Classification, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, vol 30, issue 1, pp. 109-122, 2019.
3. Tomi Kinnunen, Haizhou Li, “An overview of text-independent speaker recognition: From features to supervectors”, Speech Communication, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 12-40, 2010.
4. Haizhou Li, Bin Ma and Chin-Hui Lee, "A Vector Space Modeling Approach to Spoken Language Identification", IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol 15, No. 1, 2007, pp. 271 – 284.
5. Haizhou Li, Kong Aik Lee, and Bin Ma, “Spoken Language Recognition: From Fundamentals to Practice”, Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 101, no. 5, pp. 1136-1159, May 2013.