X.Q. Deng Presidential Chair Professor
PhD, Stanford University
MEng, National University of Singapore
BEng, National University of Singapore
Dr. Rui Zhang received the B.Eng. (First-Class Hons.) and M.Eng. degrees from National University of Singapore, and the Ph.D. degree from Stanford University, Stanford, CA USA, all in electrical engineering. From 2007 to 2009, he worked as a researcher at the Institute for Infocomm Research, ASTAR, Singapore. In 2010, he joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of National University of Singapore, where he was appointed as a Provost’s Chair Professor in 2020. Since 2022, he has joined the School of Science and Engineering, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen, as a Principal’s Diligence Chair Professor. His current research interests include UAV/satellite communication, wireless power transfer, intelligent reflecting surface and reconfigurable MIMO, optimization methods, etc.
He has published over 450 papers in the field of wireless communications, which have been cited more than 60,000 times, with the h-index over 120. He has been listed as a Highly Cited Researcher by Thomson Reuters / Clarivate Analytics since 2015. He was the recipient of the IEEE Communications Society Asia-Pacific Region Best Young Researcher Award in 2011, the Young Researcher Award of National University of Singapore in 2015, the Wireless Communications Technical Committee Recognition Award in 2020, and the IEEE Signal Processing and Computing for Communications (SPCC) Technical Recognition Award in 2021. He received 14 IEEE Best Paper Awards, including the IEEE Marconi Prize Paper Award in Wireless Communications in 2015 and 2020, the IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Paper Award in 2016, the IEEE Communications Society Heinrich Hertz Prize Paper Award in 2017, 2020 and 2022, the IEEE Communications Society Stephen O. Rice Prize in 2021, etc.
He served for over 30 international conferences as the TPC Co-Chair or an Organizing Committee Member, and as the guest editor for 3 special issues in IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing and IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. He served as an elected member of the IEEE Signal Processing Society SPCOM and SAM Technical Committees, and the Vice Chair of the IEEE Communications Society Asia-Pacific Board Technical Affairs Committee. He served as an editor for the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (Green Communications and Networking Series), IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, and IEEE Transactions on Green Communications and Networking. He is now an editor for the IEEE Transactions on Communications. He served as a member of the Steering Committee of the IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, and a Distinguished Lecturer of IEEE Signal Processing Society and IEEE Communications Society. He is a Fellow of the IEEE and the Academy of Engineering, Singapore.
1. R. Zhang and C. K. Ho, “MIMO broadcasting for simultaneous wireless information and power transfer,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1989-2001, May 2013.
2. H. Ju and R. Zhang, “Throughput maximization in wireless powered communication networks,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 418-428, January, 2014.
3. Y. Zeng, R. Zhang, and T. J. Lim, “Wireless communications with unmanned aerial vehicles: opportunities and challenges,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 36-42, May 2016.
4. Y. Zeng and R. Zhang, “Energy-efficient UAV communication with trajectory optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 3747- 3760, June 2017.
5. Y. Zeng, B. Clerckx, and R. Zhang, “Communications and signals design for wireless power transmission,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 2264-2290, May 2017.
6. Q. Wu and R. Zhang, “Intelligent reflecting surface enhanced wireless network via joint active and passive beamforming,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 5394-5409, November 2019.
7. Q. Wu and R. Zhang, “Towards smart and reconfigurable environment: intelligent reflecting surface aided wireless network,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 106-112, January 2020.
8. Q. Wu, S. Zhang, B. Zheng, C. You, and R. Zhang, “Intelligent reflecting surface aided wireless communications: a tutorial,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 69, no. 5, pp. 3313-3351, May 2021.